Some July 4th thoughts on Truth, Justice, and the American Way. Pardon my beating the dead horse – I hope this will be my last post on this topic. Previously I covered why I felt that Man of Steel wasn’t a good movie. Now I’d like to cover why this isn’t even a Superman story. Almost all of the characters come from a bizarro Superman world where they say and do things antithetical to their nature.
* Gasp at Lara’s hesitation over whether to save their infant son!
* Listen to Jonathan Kent argue the merits of letting children die!
* See Martha Kent risk her husband’s life because they left the family dog in the car!
* Witness Superboy irradiate his teacher and classmates giving them cancer!
* Feel Superman’s rage outweigh his common sense!
* Wonder as you find out that the ‘S’ does not stand for Superman!
* Marvel as Jor-El and Superman argue FOR genocide!
* Yawn as Perry White speaks against journalistic integrity!
* Cha-ching! at all the in-your-face product placement, from Nikon to Nokia, IHOP to Sears!
* Gape as Superman deliberately endangers the lives of everyone in Smallville – repeatedly!
I would also like to make the argument that Zod is actually the tragic hero of the story, desperately trying to save his people. First he fights against the corrupt and decadent government, just as Jor-El does, then Zod tries to uphold the law and prevent Jor-El from stealing Krypton’s heritage. He tries to help Kryptonian outposts after the destruction of Krypton. Unlike Jor-El, he respects his foe and has regrets. Everything he does is to try and save his people.
There are plenty more reasons for my above arguments but I don’t post spoilers. Man of Steel is not egregiously bad and the fight scenes are fun. I just had to vent some more.