* Community has been renewed for a sixth season. The catch is that it will be available on Yahoo’s streaming platform, Yahoo Screen. Currently Yahoo Screen appears to be a very confused repository of clips, trailers, music videos, and Saturday Night Live reruns.
* Another of my favorite shows will be coming back. In spite of the two main actors being movie stars, Sherlock has been renewed. Martin (The Hobbit) Freeman and Benedict (Star Trek Into Darkness) Cumberbatch will be returning for a fourth season.
* I’m really looking forward to Netflix’ Daredevil series. Charlie Cox (Boardwalk Empire) is Daredevil, Deborah Ann Woll (True Blood) is Karen Page, and Elden Henson is Foggy Nelson. Strangely Vincent D’Onofrio is playing the Kingpin. Obviously he is the wrong size so I’m curious how he will be portrayed.
* On August 1st, Netflix will have the new streaming season of The Killing. I’m looking forward to watching it as I enjoy the two very flawed lead characters but The Killing never quite gelled correctly. The Killing always had potential but never seemed to realize it.
* First off woohoo! The second season of Sherlock featuring the brilliant Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman is available on instant Netflix. I hope to watch this straight through this weekend. Martin Freeman will next be seen as Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit and Benedict Cumberbatch will be in the new Star Trek movie next summer.
* Netflix has also significantly updated their iPhone and iPod Touch interface. It now lets you pick up where you left off on shows, supports instant queue, has recommendations, a better browse function, a children’s section, and lots more. This brings it in line with the new Xbox interface. An Android update is in the works.
* Tired of waiting for the long-delayed Red Dawn remake? Try the Australian film, Tomorrow When the War Began, now streaming on Netflix.
“After spending a holiday in the countryside, seven Australian teens return home to find that their country has been invaded by a foreign power. With the help of another local, the kids band together to become guerrillas and rescue their families.”
Alternately just go back and watch the original Red Dawn, uniting Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey before they did some Dirty Dancing a few years later. Look for wonderful turns by Harry Dean Stanton and Ben Johnson and even throwing Mr. Tiger Blood Charlie Sheen in the mix. Red Dawn is available on Netflix streaming and Amazon Prime.
* Do NOT watch American Warships. It is yet still another ‘mockbuster’ (aka ripoff) – this time ripping off Battleship. Although it will have to go far to be worse than Battleship, I am certain Asylum can accomplish that. Heck I am not even going to put a link to it – though you masochists can find it on instant Netflix.
* Roku will be adding a VUDU channel to the immense lineup they have as well as an app to stream your music and photos to the TV.