What makes Jurassic World so much better than Terminator Genisys? They have the same strengths. Both come from beloved franchises. Both have well chosen callbacks to their original picture. Both have wonderful special effects and a great setting. Each imagines they have a strong female protagonist.
They have the same weaknesses. Both are well past their sell-by date. Both are heavily dependent on those same special effects. Both invest far too much time setting up their future sequels. Neither actually has a strong female protagonist. In fact, Jurassic World, the better of the two, smacks of misogyny but I digress.
* In my elder daughter’s words, “duh. dinosaurs eating people.”
* Jurassic World’s action sequences are much better. My wife found them to be genuinely scary. We had to go a second time so she could she what she missed and she still peered through her fingers.
* Terminator Genisys is the fifth film in an old series and is a continuation of that, even if it does ignore almost everything after the second film. Jurassic World pretends to be a sequel but ignores the the second and third films and is essentially a reboot. It even apes specific plot points and character beats from the first film.
* Arnold Schwarzenegger is inextricably linked with the Terminator franchise and since leaving office, he has consistently shown that he is no longer a box office draw (sorry Maya). Chris Pratt, on the other hand, is rapidly rising to become king of the box office.
* While Jurassic World drops a lot of exposition on us to set up the sequel(s), Terminator Genisys never explains where more than one Terminator comes from. Perhaps this is to be explained in future films but Genisys’ box office may be lackluster enough to prevent that. Both features leave several character’s fates indeterminate but only Genisys has you going, “what the..huh..” That is, if you even bother to think of it.