I love going to the movies. I also love staying home and watching movies. I thought that today I would take a positive look at what is good in our local theaters. R.I.P. Cinebarre, you will be missed.
Obviously, The Carolina is my favorite.
* FREE movies every Tuesday night (Asheville Film Society) and Thursday night (Thursday horror picture show) put The Carolina head and shoulders above the rest.
* Once a month, Ken Hanke gets a new digital print of a classic movie at a bargain price ($6 for members, $8 for non-members). Last month it was Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window.
* Local food, locally sourced from Chop Shop & Carolina Mountain Bakery along with local beer on tap, wine, iced tea, and the usual soft drinks. They have REAL butter on their popcorn. Their quattro formaggio pizza is my current favorite though I’m itching to try their hummus.
* They currently do DealFlicks – they don’t really give a discount through them so much as give you a small popcorn and a ticket for the price of a ticket. Asheville Film Society ($10 a year) gives you a $1 discount off of each ticket and FREE refills on any size popcorn.
* FREE refills on any size soda or tea
The Biltmore Grande is the newest of Asheville’s cinemas.
* It has all stadium seating and the best sound and video in the area. Their auditoriums are designed so that opening the door does not allow light to leak in.
* They have a RPX screen which is HUGE and LOUD. It is also an upcharge so these showings are less crowded.
* They have Coke (and other flavor) Icees – my drink of choice at the movies.
Epic of Hendersonville, just south of Asheville
* Very, very close – okay it doesn’t say much about the theater itself but it sure is nice to drive fifteen minutes instead of forty-five.
* The sound and video are almost as nice and large as Biltmore Grande. They have all stadium seating and the same proper positioning of doors.
* They currently allow DealFlicks, MoviePass, and even (often) give away tickets for blood donations.
Asheville Pizza & Brewing is on the North side of Asheville
* Our only remaining second-run theater. Tickets are only $3 for all shows
* Locally brewed beer on tap
* Good menu, including many varieties of pizza. Best item: The Tot-Chos – a basket of tater tots baked and then smothered in queso.