* For those who want to know numbers, Netflix has 3 million paying customers for its international streaming service. Contrast this with the 22.69 million domestic streaming customers and you can see that foreign growth has a vast potential for Netflix. Netflix is beating Lovefilm and has Sky as the goal target.
* Gizmodo recenty posited the question of whether Netflix or Amazon Prime is the best streaming service. Simple numbers always put Amazon Prime to shame. I would love to see them be a contender but they will have to stop clinging so tightly to their by-the-movie pricing model and pony up some money for content. On the other hand FREE two-day Amazon shipping is a nice perk.
* That said Amazon Prime recently signed not only a deal with Warner Bros. but much more importantly an EXCLUSIVE deal. Fringe and The West Wing will be available exclusively on Amazon Prime for the summer. This deal makes other shows available as well (though not exclusively). Titles included are Alcatraz, Dark Blue, and The Whole Truth.
* DirecTV and Viacom have finally ended their spat (well, until the new contract is up anyway) so DirecTV customers can watch The Daily Show again. Personally that is what I have Hulu Plus for and I’m sure the $7.99 a month I pay is far less than what DirecTV charges a month.
I don’t miss cable or satellite TV at all. I have far more than I can possibly watch with Netflix and Hulu Plus. My wife and I are trying to finish Downton Abbey season 2 before moving on to the Titanic miniseries and Breaking Bad season 4.
* In spite of being overloaded at the moment I’m looking forward to watching AMC’s Hell on Wheels. The first season is supposed to be available through Netflix instant on 7/29.